I would consider myself to be one of those women who neglects taking care of her self, to the point of mental breakdown. I think a lot of us tend to operate that way, but this year I’ve really started to see the negative effects this mentality can have on my entire family. So, as awkward and hard as it has been to feel so selfish, I’ve started to put habits in place to take care of my needs too!
If there is a lady in your life who could use a bit of self-care, this guide is for you!
1. Girl Wash Your Face. ~$16.09 This book has been instrumental in me taking care of my mental health, as well as pushing me to achieve my own hopes for my life. Which, lets be honest, is the biggest form of self-love there is.
2. Slippers.~$29 These are totally on my wish list. They’re soft and warm, and best of all, they slip on, so she won’t even have to bend down to put them on ?
3. Bathtub Caddy. ~$19.99 Nothing quite says luxurious like a bath caddy that has a place for a glass of wine and a good book. Seriously the bath-wine-book combo has saved me from many a breakdown.
4. Gratitude journal. ~$24 I recently started a gratitude journal, and this simple process has been life changing. I’m not exaggerating. Starting each day, looking at my blessings, has fundamentally shifted the way I see life.
5. Weighted blanket. ~$69.99 At the end of a busy day, this blanket could help ease your lovely lady into a deep sleep. These bad boys have been proven to help with anxiety, insomnia, and sensory disorders, but don’t worry, even if she’s just a hard working boss, she’ll still appreciate it!
6. Woman of the house T-Shirt. $30. Remind her who she is to you and that she’s pretty bad-a$$. I promise it will put a little pep in her step.
7. Art hung in a reading nook. ~Price Varies. This is my favorite. A space just her own. Fill her reading nook with art, cozy blankets, good books, or whatever you know she will enjoy. Make sure it’s secluded from the rest of the family, and make sure she knows that there’s no work allowed in her little corner of the house. It’s meant purely for rest. I promise, every time she walks past it, she’ll be reminded of how much you care, and how she should take care of herself too!
8. Massage gift certificate. ~Price Varies. This should be a staple for every mother everywhere. There’s not many women I know who would turn down a child free trip to get a massage. I even bought one for my mother in law last year, who was a bit skeptical, but she totally loved it!
9. Class to something. ~Price Varies. Self care isn’t all just bubble baths and boozy drinks (although that doesn’t hurt). Self-care means stoking your own interests and enjoying hobbies. The woman in your life will appreciate the time she’s able to spend just on having fun!
10. Subscription her favorite magazine. ~Price Varies. Last year for Christmas, Seth got me a subscription to Magnolia Journal. Every quarter, it comes in the mail and it’s an instant reason to sit down with a cup of coffee and relax.
If you surprise the hard working woman in your life with any of these suggestions, let me know! I love hearing from you!